Temptations come in different forms and someone once rightly said that there is no other temptation lethal than desserts. Well that person was me because I just made that up but ain’t I right? (Don’t lie to yourself!). If you are a big foodie like me then you will know that the love for waffles can run deep. However, we often don’t consider the great people who create such great food and its history. So today we at TMN bring you some delicious food facts about our favorite food: Waffles. So let’s roll!
1) Waffles can be traced back in the middle ages, they were founded in Europe as the oldest recipe was found in a manuscript in Paris.
2) The reason waffles have a honeycomb pattern is because the word waffle originates from Old German word ‘wefan’ which means to weave something into a shape resembling a honeycomb. People in those days used to cook the batter between two iron rods with grid patterns. That’s the pattern we see even today.
3) The world’s largest waffle is 8 foot long and weights 49 kgs.
4) Ice cream cones originated from waffles in 1904 when an ice cream vendor ran out of cups and asked a waffle vendor to help him, so they folded the waffles into cones and that’s how we got ice cream cones!
5) In verb ‘waffle’ literally means to vacillate from one thing to another or from one place to another, no idea how they connected it with food but okay.
6) Waffles come in 3 types which are Belgium waffles (These were originally known as Brussels Waffles and were rectangular in form but were later made in a round form), American Waffles (They are round square in form) and Liege Waffles (These are of irregular shape and size)
So that’s it. Hope you found these facts interesting, if you did then don’t forget to like and share and subscribe with us for more awesome food facts! Happy Reading!