The show ‘Pehredaar Piya Ki’ currently running on Sony TV managed to create quite a controversy as this show is about a 10-year-old boy marrying a grown woman. The trailer itself made a lot of people uncomfortable with this shitty concept. Indian TV serials have come up with great concepts as well as some pretty baseless and hilarious ones. We may get tortured by a Naagin who takes the form of a lady or a snake as per her likes while some other woman turns into a fly to take revenge and what not. Adding up to this tradition of hilarious concept this show ‘Pehredaar Piya Ki’ is yet again confusing for the audience. Seriously WTF is going on? The first episode aired and it was weird and creepy as people expected it to be.
Thoughts that popped my head while watching ‘Pehredaar Piya Ki’ :
1. The serial is shot in this strange place called ‘Kesar Mahal’ with people around following old traditions. The child prince is a fan of fairy tales because why not, he’s just a kid!
2. Also the plot says that the 10-year-old’s life is constantly in danger and he needs a bodyguard. Shouldn’t be a problem when you own a freaking palace.
3. The kid instantly starts crushing on a 19-year-old woman(the lead of the show) and starts following her around. The kid doesn’t stop here, he starts clicking her photos when she’s not looking. Are kids today that desperate at stalking? This kid hasn’t even hit puberty and he’s up to stalking. What the hell are the makers trying to show here?
4. In another shot, the lead sees a cockroach and somehow, magically slips and the kid dashes towards her and manages to save her. This implies that a 10-year-old kid is stronger and braver than you are.
5. Later, the parents of the kid speak of marrying the kid off so that they get a wife as well as a ‘pehredaar’ (guard) for him. Wow, literally, after seeing this, it killed the feminist in me.
6. What comes next is the kid proposing the 19-year-old. This seriously needs an explanation? The woman plants a kiss on his cheeks. Then the kid carries sindoor (red powder)box, I’m still trying to figure out what made the director direct such a scene.
7. The 19-year-old has to marry this kid in return of some decade old favour done by the kids dad to her family.
The makers are defending this serial by saying that it isn’t about child marriage and no judgement should be made so early but by watching the episodes aired, the serial seemed pretty regressive and weird. I wouldn’t encourage my younger brother to ever watch it. But, I really wonder what next they’d show, probably romance! Ummm, ewww.
Karan Wahi seemed to agree:
Sony has given us some of the most empowering shows but nobody expected the channel to drop their standards and allow airing such a degrading show. Let us know your thoughts about this show in the comments below. Don’t forget to like and share and subscribe us. Till then happy reading.