If you are a Marathi speaking person born and raised in Mumbai, you know how people who have never been to Mumbai but always heard about it from others or seen in it movies react to it, right? It can be fun, frustrating and hilarious at the same time.
Here is what I have experienced whenever I traveled out of Mumbai and came across people who have serious myths about our city of dreams!
1) When people think we eat Vada Pav for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Fortunately we have exposure to Italian, Chinese, Mexican and Tibetan food. BooYah!
2) The public who obviously has never been to Mumbai thinks you travel in local train ONLY.
Like duh, we have autos, taxis, buses, monorails, ferry ways, Olas and Ubers for what? FOR WHAT?
3) They also ask if local trains are really the life line of Mumbai.
Are you that dumb or am I dreaming? It’s a metaphor for God’s Sake!
4) You have often been asked if you bump into Bollywood stars everyday.
Yeah right. Everyday. What a silly question! We sometimes share the same auto rickshaws.
5) You obviously are fluent in Marathi.
6) Your favorite hangouts have to be either Gateway Of India, Marine Drive or Bandstand. Worse case scenario? Juhu beach.
Childhood picnics? Maybe. Now? NEVER.
7) We look forward to Salman Khan and SRK to wave from their balconies whenever we go to Bandra.
Give us a break, will you?
8) It’s like the NYC of India. Glamour, glitter, lights, party.
Yes, along with the traffic, pollution and population
9) The survival of 26/11 terrorist attacks.
NO, we were far from it, safe in our homes. That doesn’t make us a survivor. We shouldn’t be proud of what happened.
10) City of bomb-blasts.
This is wrong. There are rapes. murders and terrorist bombings in every part of the world. Please don’t call any place names because of your stupid perception of it. Every city is beautiful, it shouldn’t be drowned in stereotypes and myths like these.
You’d much rather get to know the city, its people, culture, food and history. I am sure you’ll love it. Just like we do!
Do you relate to it? If not, you are lucky to have not come across such morons who have absolutely no idea of our beloved island city and its people! Let us know in the comments below and make sure you follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram for more such posts and you can also download our app to stay updated: Tell Me Nothing