Lionel Messi, the little genius of football doesn’t need any introduction. This Barcelona forwards has turned 30 years old today. With the growing age, his quality of football has immensely improved. All the opinion polls and arguments for being best footballer goes on between him and Cristiano Ronaldo. Both the footballer’s fans keep on arguing and putting forward stats and history to prove that their player is best in the world. Well, we’re not here to comment onto that who is no. 1 or no. 2. We’re going to present you all some astonishing facts about this genius of football on his birthday.
Let’s Traverse Through Some Of Lionel Messi’s Amazing Facts:
1. Lionel Messi was born on 24th June 1987 at Rosario, Argentina.
2. The Argentina’s great revolutionist Che Guevera and Lionel Messi share the same date of birth.
3. He was born in the middle-class family and worked as a steelworker. He also coached the local youth football team.
4. His original full name is Luis Lionel Andres Messi.
5. He got his first contract from Barcelona on a Napkin. It’s a strange thing but the sporting director Carles Rexach of Barcelona was so much impressed with junior Messi that he wanted to do the contract immediately and interestingly there was no paper available at that instinctive time.
6. Messi was not at his level best when it comes to health during his youth days. He was suffering from growth hormone deficiency at a tender age of 11. His family couldn’t afford the treatment which costs around $900 per month.
7. He made his league debut against RCS Espanyol at the age of 17. By doing this he became the third-youngest player to play for Barcelona. Also, he becomes the first youngest player to score for Barcelona.
8. Lionel Messi has the two citizenship one of Argentina and other from Spain. He became the citizen of Spain in the year 2005.
9. He became the first paid member of the club during the 2005-06 season.
10. Barcelona got so impressed with his foot skills, and we can say with honor and confidence that they were not wrong. The club decided to take along this left-footed genius footballer with them and bear all his expenses. His family then moved out to Spain, when he was just 13 years old.
11. His international debut in 2005 lasted for only 47 seconds as he got a red card after he came as a substitute.
12. He inherited the Jersey no. 10 from the Brazilian great Ronaldinho in the year 2008.
13. He along with Vivian Woodward’s are the only two players to score 25 goals during a calendar year for the both country and club.
14. Messi has won eight La Ligas, four UEFA Champions Leagues, four Copa del Rey, five Supercopas de España, three UEFA Super Cups and three Club World Cups.
15. He won his first Ballon d’Or award in the year 2009 along with FIFA world player of the year awards. He has won five Ballon d’Or in his career, highest by any player. Messi got this in the year 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and in 2015.
16. He also has an Olympic gold medal that he won along with his team Argentina in the year 2008.
17. He also got an offer in the national team of Spain but he refused. He has a nickname of ‘Flea’ due to the speed and his agility on the field.
18. Messi is the sixth youngest football player to score in a world cup match.
19. He is the second highest European Cup scorer in the history. Starting from the group stage to finals he has accumulated 94 goals.
20. Messi has 37 hat-tricks for the club Barcelona.
21. He along with Cristiano Ronaldo has the most hat-tricks in the UEFA Champions League. Both have scored 7 hat-tricks.
22. Messi terms his grandmother as his inspiration and his trademark celebration of pointing to the sky and celebrating depicts the same. He lost his grandma at the tender age of 11.
23. Messi is the only player to score consecutively against all teams of La-Liga along with Cristiano Ronaldo.
24. Messi has scored 23 El-Classico goals ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo with 7 goals margin.
25. He has appeared in the 25 major tournament finals and became the Barcelona’s top scorer at the age of 24.
26. Messi is the Goodwill Ambassador for UNICEF and also works for the betterment and treatment of Fragile X Syndrom, a disease related to autism.
27. He is a very kind-hearted guy, and in the year 2013 donated around $812,000 for the refurbishment of the children hospital in his hometown of Rosario, Argentina. The money was utilized to improve the oncology department there. He also paid the amount to doctors to travel to Barcelona for training.
28. Lionel Messi has his wife and children’s name tattooed on his calf. Also, he is getting to marry his longtime girlfriend Antonella Rocuzzo in 2017 on June 30. From her, he has two children’s Thiago and Mateo.
29. Before dating Antonella he also dated a girl from Argentina named as Macarena Lemos. He was also linked with Argentinan Model Luciana Salazar.
30. Messi is a devout Roman Catholic, and he got to meet Pope Francis at the Vatican in 2013. He said, “Without a doubt, today was one of the most special days of my life. We have to excel on and off the field,” about the meeting.
31. If sources are to believed his release clause is around 250 million Euros. Also, He is the first to win three European Golden Shoe awards.
32. Messi is one of the shyest people from his childhood days, and the trait is still going on with him. People who know him closely say that most of his conversations go through over SMS.
33. His favorite past times include playing with his sons and spending quality time with his wife Antonella Rocuzzo. He is also very passionate PlayStation player.
34. Ginza Takana a jeweler from the Japan utilized a cast of the Mess’s left foot to create a 55 lbs solid gold replica of worth $5.3 million. This replica was used to raise fund for the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami victims.
35. He is addicted to two of the musical genres Samba and Cumbi. Also, he doesn’t like to watch his highlights.
These are few of the astonishing facts about world’s best footballer. Messi is not only a good human being but also a great father and husband in real life too. Hope, you have a great time while reading these facts. Till then, happy reading and don’t forget to subscribe us.