Albania is situated in the southeastern part of Europe near Greece. It is a natural beauty. Here are some interesting facts about this beautiful country.
1. The name of this country is derived fromm Allyrian tribe of Albani and it is a Medieval Latin name. Albania is the Medieval Latin name of the country.
2. Ptolemy, the geographer and astronomer from Alexandria drafted a map in 150 AD that shows the city of Albanopolis located northeast of Durrës.
3. During World War 2 Albania was militarily occupied by Italy from 1939 to 1943. and was governed by the Italian King Victor Emmanuel III and his government.
4. Gjirokastra’s eerie hilltop castle is one of the biggest in the Balkans and is definitely worth the steep walk up from the Old Town. The castle remains somewhat infamous due to its use as a prison under the communists. Inside there’s an eerie collection of armoury, two good museums, a recovered US Air Force jet shot down during the communist era.
5. You won’t find a McDonalds in the capital city Tirana. Instead they have “Kolonat”, which has a logo that is very similar to McDonalds.
6. There re over 750,000+ bunkers in Albania
7. Raki is the national drink of Albania and is equivalent to 3 normal drinks
8. The Lake of Shkodër located in Albania is the largest lake in all of Southern Europe.
9. Golden eagle is the national symbol of Albania
10. Albanian horses are one of it’s kind breed originating from this country
Of course, there’s more to explore so go pack your bags and visit this natural beauty. Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for more such posts and you can also download our app to stay updated: Tell Me Nothing